Inlays and onlays are likely as a crown, and differ only that it preserves more of the natural tooth structure. Creation of inlays and onlays will have to be held in the Dental Laboratory.
Type of Inlays and Onlays
Porcelain, gold and composite resin are chosen materials.
Porcelain inlays or onlays are more attractive because it mimics closer to the enamelís translucency and color, while gold alloy inlays and onlays are more durable
Procedure for Dental Inlays and Onlays Treatment
1 First evaluation and Inlays/Onlays tooth preparation
- Before accepting the Inlay/Onlay, the teeth must be reshaped
- Taking records of shape, length, color of teeth which need the Inlays/Onlays.
- A teeth impression will be taken to make a model.
- A model will then be sent to the Dental Laboratory to fabricate the Inlay/Onlay
- Temporary cover the preparation area
2 Fitting of the Inlay/Onlay on delivery
- Remove the temporary filling
- Fit and cement Inlay/Onlay to the site
- Check the quality of it if any re-adjustment or re-work of the Inlay/Onlay is needed
3 Care of Inlay/Onlay
- Donít need any special care only routine brush and floss the teeth
Inlays or Onlays are similar to Dental Filling but they are stronger and more durable. It needs only ordinary routine oral care.
At least twice a day for brush, and also recommended is to brush after meal and before bed
Flossing at least once or twice a day
Avoid of chewing hard or tough food in this area
Regular check up with the dentist
How are composite resin filling accomplished?
Inlays/Onlays mostly fit perfectly with the prepared surface, and also have a reducing the size of seam between the restoration and the tooth. It keeps decay from eventually undermining under the restoration. It wonít fracture the tooth but it strenghthens the tooth at the same time
It removes only the decayed area and retains as much as possible healthy tooth structure intact.
In addition, it prevents the tooth from any further root canal therapy in the future.
Increase better strength of the tooth when compared to filling
Alternative to crown when teeth damage is not extensive
Porcelain Inlays/Onlays wonít be discolor
Offer greater esthetic look compare with amalgam filling