Dental veneers or porcelain veneers, or dental porcelain laminates are the same kind of restorations. Veneers are designed to reshape, recolor those discolored teeth, and make a new permanent surface for the teeth with a very thin shell.
This veneers shell will be made of porcelain or composite resin materials. The porcelain veneers are better than the composite resin veneers and the light reflecting property of porcelain veneers is almost the same as the natural teeth, while resin veneers are thinner and need a smaller trim out of your tooth surface. An effective discussion should be set up for choosing the materials.
What type of Problem do Dental Veneers fix?
- Discolored teeth
- Worn down teeth
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Rough surface, misaligned, irregularity shape of the teeth
- Gap between the front teeth.
Whatís the procedure to get a Dental Veneers?
Only 3 dentist visits. First is to consult and discuss. The other two visits are to create and adjust the Dental Veneers. The veneers for a single tooth or a number of teeth can be created at the same time.
Diagnosis and Treatment
You would raise all the reason why you need the Dental Veneers to the dentist, while dentist will determine if itís really appropriate to get the veneers or not.. Some X-ray and tooth impression may have to be taken at this time. And all pros and cons will be discussed.
About a millimeter of enamel will be trimmed; mostly the quantity of the enamel which is taken out will be equal to the thickness of the Veneers to be added to the surface. Anesthetic or numbness may have to be introduced before trimming off the enamel but anyway that will be under the dentist judgment. Then the dentist will get the tooth impression and forward the veneer impression to the dental laboratory to create the Veneers, which normally takes 5 to 7 days before they can be delivered back to the dentist. Temporary veneers can be put on if requested probably with another expense.
After the permanent veneer is ready, the dentist will fit it on with some polishing and trimming to get the best fit. The colors of veneers will also depend on the colors of the cement to be used which need to be discussed beforehand to make them look as real and natural as possible. Cleaning, polishing, and etching will be done to make the teeth surfaces rough and ready for the strong bonding process. When the veneer is ready and has been properly placed on your teeth, the dentist will apply the special light beam to the veneers to activate chemical reaction in the cement. This will harden and cure the cement rapidly.
Last visit is for the final adjustment. That is to remove the excess cement and evaluate your bite. That is the completion in making the Veneers but a follow-up visits may be recommended to check the gum reaction to the veneers and also including the examination of the veneerís placement.†
What are the advantages of Dental Veneers?
- Veneers can help dark teeth appear whiter by selection of the porcelain color.
- Veneers can help changing the tooth alignment and profile to some extent when orthodontic treatment is not affordable or applicable.
- Comparing with the crown, it doesnít need an extensive shaping before the procedure like a Dental Crown. But still serve strong and aesthetic.
What are the Disadvantages of the Dental Veneers?
- Porcelain is unable to reverse
- Costly than composite resin bonding
- If chip or crack mostly is unable to repair
- Hot and cold food or beverage will become more sensitive to the tooth
- The veneer color may not actually match with the natural teeth, and it cannot change. If plan to get a whitening teeth, it should be done before getting the Dental Veneers
- Nail biting, chewing on pencil or any act which bring pressure to the teeth can cause dislodging and falling off of the veneers.
- Veneers are still susceptible to decay, it may need Dental Crown to cover the whole tooth in the future
- Veneers is not a good options for unhealthy teeth like a decayed or active periodontal disease, weakened teeth, or lost of enamel
- Clench and Grind wont be recommended to take Dental Veneer, it may chip or crack
How long do Dental Veneers last?
It last for 5 to 10 years.
Do Dental Veneers require special care?
Routine dental and oral care including brushing and flossing is remain need, but should be avoid of stain-causing food and beverage like a coffee or wine.
Are there alternatives to Dental Veneers?
† Yes, they are bonding and crown. Dental Veneers is good for one who would like to change the shape, which bonding is only a little part. On the other hand itís not as serious as getting the Dental Crown.